Last Tuesday Hannah Danto Dorafsha came to our circle to discuss self care. At the end of our time together we went around the circle and said one thing we were going to do that day to show ourselves love. In the moment I struggled to think of even one thing, but have since made this list. Pick one, any one, and do it NOW. And please share the results.
one minute self care moments:
- Take a long, slow inhale and as you exhale imagine that a gray cloud of stress, worries, or troubles is leaving your life, and as you inhale, imagine that peace and love and wisdom are filling you up.
- Take off your shoes and rub the bottoms of your feet with your knuckles. Massage the joints and tips of your toes.
- Smell something nice, like orange or your child's hair, or put on a dab of essential oil. (Next Tuesday our wise woman will be discussing how to use essential oils for our babies, ourselves, and our homes. Stay tuned!)
- Roll your head around to loosen your neck.
- Splash water on your face.
five minute self care moments:
- Make yourself a cup of tea. (Since this is one of my favorite ways to nurture myself, I serve hot tea at each mom-ME circle.)
- Lie down, close your eyes, and imagine a warm, golden balm setting over you, softening the edges of your feelings, and gently carrying away and distress.
- Listen to your favorite music, from Bach to B-52s. This is my personal favorite pick me up pandora station.
- Ask someone for a sincere compliment. Do so on our facebook page. (I just did this and feel all warm inside- thanks peeps.)
- Step outside and watch the play of sunlight dancing on leaves or the moon and stars.
fifteen minute self care moments:
- Take a long shower
- Read a magazine
- Go for a short walk and look for beauty
- Meditate (I personally love Headspace. If you join our facebook page, I regularly offer a free month with headspace!)
- Exercise, dance, stretch, do yoga. (We will share about each of these modalities in our mom-ME circles.)
Thirty minute self care moments:
- Read a good book
- Take a bath- maybe with bubbles. (This was what I chose during our circle this week and it was delish.)
- Watch a TV show
- Go for a walk
- Treat yourself to a good nap
One hour self care moments:
- Get a manicure
- Go out to lunch with your partner, a friend, or a good book
- Visit your church or temple
- Browse through a book store
- Prepare a really nice meal just for you or treat yourself to a special lunch.