What is your relationship with sleep?
"Sleep research shows that below the surface of a peaceful snooze, a complex physiological process is taking place…While we sleep, sophisticated sequences of brain waves transform our inert bodies into humming power stations that produce intelligence, alertness and discernment… Surrendering to slumber does more than just restore the ability to function efficiently - it actually generates that clear and transparent state of mind we call wakefulness."-Veronique Vienne, The Art of Doing Nothing
So many of my clients (me included!) have struggled with or are currently struggling with insomnia or an inability to sleep soundly.
Often, our lack of sleep not because our kids are waking us up. I’ve heard many stories where the whole house is peacefully sleeping, but mom is wide awake and can’t get her mind to shut off.
Raise your hand if you have experienced any of the following:
- racing thoughts at bedtime or during the night
- repetitive thoughts that cycle like a tape through your mind
- frustration when not being able to fall asleep within 20 minutes of being in bed
- anxiety provoking thoughts about you sleep (at any time of day)
- stressful thoughts about other areas of your life that show up at bedtme
- a belief that you are not capable of sleeping well
- worry of any kind
Just because something is normal doesn’t mean it’s ok.
The thing is, we all know the health benefits of getting enough sleep. We all know that these human bodies require 7-9 hours of sleep at night. And even if we WANTED to get this much sleep we just can't go the !@#$ to sleep! We have used medications and herbal remedies to help us sleep- to no avail.
The trouble is not necessarily biochemical (although sometimes it is!) quite often, the issue is closer related to our thoughts and less related to our bodies.
"Appreciation and self-love are the most important tools that you could ever nurture. Appreciation of others, and the appreciation of yourself is the closest vibrational match to your Source Energy of anything that we've ever witnessed anywhere in the Universe." -Abraham-Hicks
Today I want to give you a gift: 5 minutes of pure relaxation. Even if you don’t fall asleep, you will rise feeling much more rested.
Simply close your eyes and listen to this guided meditation
After listening to this guided meditation you can answer these questions in your journal:
- When I am truly and deeply relaxed, I feel______
- What gets in the way of my getting deep rest is______
- What I can do to cultivate more rest in my life (starting today)______